We have some good resources for you in this issue of the Tuner Tools 'Summer Cruisin' Series where we will provide some useful information about laptop tuning, the use of Air/Fuel Meters, Fuel Maps, Ignition Maps, knock sensor equipment and related tuning information.
While no newsletter can provide complete instructions on a topic this broad and complex, we do hope you find some of the resources and links provided to be as useful and interesting as we have.
Can't send the kid back to school without a new Boost Controller can you?
The Gizzmo MS-IBC is the competition boost controller for the serious enthusiast. In developing the MS-IBC, out aim was to design a boost controller that would cater to the serious drag racing professional while still being quite at home on the streets. Gizzmo's Multi-Scramble IBC takes the conventional scramble one step further.
A conventional scramble function allows the user, upon the push of a button, to run higher boost for a temporary period (e.g. 2lbs extra for 5 seconds). Gizzmo's Multi-Scramble function allows the user the option of again pressing the button before the scramble time has completed to add the same amount of boost again and refresh the original time duration.
While the article is a bit dated and uses the older LM-1 Air/Fuel Meter, the principles of EFI tuning and the steps described are just as relevant when using the newer (and easier) LM-2 Air/Fuel meter & Sensor Device. Keep the article and study the methodology demonstrated.
We've always been an MSD Ignition dealer, but only recently decided to put the line up in our online store where our customers can find what they need!
MSD Ignition products are the finest ignition components you can install on your car whether it's a daily driver, dirt tracker, 4-wheel drive, a seven second Pro Stock car or Big Foot. MSD is your exclusive performance ignition company and we thank you for your interest and support.
PLX Wideband Air/Fuel Introductory Video PLX Devices has made a nice brief introductory video which helps explain the benefits of a wideband system, installation basics as well as optional add on components. Worth checking out of if you've ever considered, but not yet decided on a wideband o2 sensor system for monitoring Air/Fuel ratio.
From Jet Performance, we offer the DIY laptop solution, Dynamic Spectrum Tuner for either GM Gas or GM Diesel.
For Imports and many sport compact cars, Jet can custom program your ECU for you with out custom tuning kits. The custom tuning kits include return shipping for your ECU, quick turn around times and programming you can trust. Computers received at JET by 12:00 PM PST will be programmed and reshipped the same day to minimize down time. Next day air return shipping is included in the price of the kit*. For the quickest turnaround time we recommend shipping the ECU to JET via UPS, Fed-Ex or DHL next day air
Sniper Special Forces Tuning Kit - Ford Gas or Ford Diesel
Sniper Special Forces - The first "end-user" custom programming software available on the market. Covers all popular Ford EEC-V & most Power PC ecm’s for gas engines (96-current) and the diesel kit covers all 1999-2007 Ford Powerstrokes.
The Special Forces software offered by Sniper, Inc. has been developed to work for bone stock to heavily modified vehicles.
And the subject of "laptop tuning" could never be complete without mention of the Tactrix OpenPort interfaces & supporting software And of course any of you who own or have a buddy who owns either the Mitsubishi Evo or Subaru WRX has certainly heard of the Tactrix OpenPort interface cables. We'd be remiss if we failed to mention those here. Even if this is a niche' market, Evo & WRX owners are all serious about the tuning in their cars and this is a very enthusiastic tuner community.
* OpenPort 1.3U Universal USB Cable - Datalogging and EcuFlash Reprogramming Cable. High quality and high performance 16pin+12pin datalogger/reflash cable, capable of extreme high speeds. Perfect for EvoScan (Subaru SSMII, Mitsubishi MUTII, OBDII), EcuFlash, OBDII software. Specifically supports 1994-2007 Mitsubishi vehicles for EFI, AYC and ABS systems. Allows reprogramming of Subaru WRX/Sti ECUs and reprogramming of Mitsubishi Evo factory ecus via EcuFlash (included reflash connector) Also Supports 1999-2007 Subaru SSM-II vehicles for datalogging. NOTE: This cable does NOT include the WRX reflash connectors which must be purchased separately.
* Tactrix OpenPort 2.0 Now Includes CAN Support! The Tactrix OpenPort 2.0 is our newest tuning tool hardware that is capable of communicating with most OBDII compliant vehicles using the standard OBD interface. Combined with the open source EcuFlash software, the OpenPort 2.0 is capable of reflashing a large number of newer Subaru and Mitsubishi vehicles, and support for other cars is in progress. Using PCMSCAN software under J2534 settings, will record and display all global level OBD-II sensor data, PID information, Freeze Frame, Readiness Monitor status and more. Using PCMSCAN incorporate, merge & display Air/Fuel ratio data from wideband O2 kits by Innovate Motorsports, PLX Devices, AEM 30-4100 UEGO gauge & more!
* EvoScan Software - from the Mitsubishi And Subaru For high speed datalogging of Mitsubishi & Subaru using the EvoScan / Tactrix 1.3U cable, EvoScan is the software you need, because it uses the MUT-III factory dealership protocols. On Road Dyno & Map Tracer graphs for fuel, timing, and knock sensor analysis. Mitsubishi MUTII/MUTIII DataLogging. Subaru SSMII DataLogging, Universal OBDII DataLogging using the ISO protocols.
* RomRaider 0.5.2b - Open Source ECU Tuning RomRaider is a free, open source tuning suite created for viewing, logging and tuning of modern Subaru Engine Control Units. The intuitive tuning interface and powerful datalogger are modeled to be familiar to experienced professional tuners while providing all the power of expensive commercial products, without license fees
* EcuFlash software & drivers for the OpenPort interfaces EcuFlash is a general-purpose ECU reflashing and editing tool that supports an ever-growing list of vehicles. EcuFlash uses the OpenPort vehicle interface to reflash vehicles via the OBDII port. EcuFlash also allows you to edit ECU data (known as 'maps' or 'tables') in a human-readable format using a XML-based definition system to translate the data. With properly setup definitions, the ROM from any vehicle can be edited. Future plans for EcuFlash include logging support / overlay, and live tuning
Tactrix OpenPort 1.3U and 2.0 Interface Cables
Finally, in closing.... we do hope these newsletters are interesting and not 'just spam'. While these are of course marketing efforts for www.TunerTools.com we also try very sincerely to make each issue interesting and hope we're providing at least some useful information.
Thank you for being a loyal Tuner Tools Member. We will continue to provide you valuable savings opportunities on the best and most popular products available for automotive tuning, performance & diagnostics.
Sincerely, -- Lloyd, Jan & The Team at Tuner Tools LLC